Tuesday, February 25, 2014

HALLELUJAH, Ghost crystals and thermochromic pencils, My Antonia, and F. freaking Scott Fitzgerald

MY WRITER'S BLOCK HAS BEEN CURED!

This is a momentous occasion, my dear readers. I've eaten the most ridiculous amount of chocolate in the past few days, and drunk an abnormal amount of English breakfast tea (which I've recently discovered is very delicious), and finally I've had my huge story idea epiphany! I've let my mom and sister read what I have so far, and they think it's really good, and I think it's really good, not to brag or anything. I could feel a huge idea like this one coming on for a while now, and BAM! I heard "What You Wanted" by OneRepublic and I suddenly started writing random crap down like I usually do when I get a great idea.

Music is the source of all inspiration.

Anyways, thank God that dry spell is over. Geez, writing was like trying to brush your hair after going on a motorboat with your hair down. It hurts and it takes forever., and it doesn't even look GOOD afterwards. Anyways...

Hallelujah for a few other reasons, too! I got a 100 on my chemistry exam, and apparently I get a "ghost crystal" (whatever the heck that is). Last time I got the highest grade in the class I got a thermochromic pencil, which basically means a pencil that changes color when heat is applied to the surface. It's purple and when you touch it (i.e., if your hands are warm enough), it turns pink. It's wicked cool! Of course it's so freaking cold in Maine...

...so my hands are never warm enough to change the color of a thermochromic pencil. Alas, it sits in my "Little Miss Princess" mug on my desk, waiting for the warmer days of summer.

If I'm feeling spontaneous enough maybe I'll give you a few chapters of another book I've been editing, and one of my friends is currently reading to make sure it doesn't suck. According to her, it doesn't. Yay!

Right now I'm reading My Antonia. I never really expect myself to like classics, but Willa Cather's writing is contemporary, in a way. Not to say that it's bad writing, because it's quite the contrary. But it's a lot easier to read than Charles Dickens or Emily Bronte. Although both were brilliant, their works are so insipid. I haven't read much of either of them, but even excerpts I've read are hard to read. But that's just me. I don't know, maybe I'm ignorant. One day I will give both Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte, and Jane Austen another try.
Anyways, MA is really good so far. I'm at the part where Mrs. Shimerda and Antonia come over near the end of winter, and Mrs. S is complaining that she doesn't have any of the things Jim's grandmother has, and says that she would basically be better at life if she did, so Jim's grandmother gives Mrs. Shimerda an iron pot. It was comical, in a way.

I LOVE IT!

In creative writing class the other day, we read an excerpt from The Great Gatsby, and we kept picking apart each little detail of it and basically pointing out all the reasons why F. Scott Fitzgerald is the most amazing writer to have ever lived.

And I was so intimidated by the sheer skill in which he writes! There are conceits (elaborate metaphors), sensible illusions, beautiful descriptions of color, killer adjectives, and so much more that makes you picture everything like it's right in front of you! We read the scene where Nick Carraway first walks into the Buchanan's living room. It's such a beautiful passage.

I need to stop using the word beautiful so much.
BUT HE'S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WRITER. IT'S NOT EVEN FAIR.
Well, it probably is.

Well, I'm afraid I must go, because Supernatural is on in T-minus 35 minutes and I need to wash myself. Later, jerks. Happy reading! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment